HONEY BAKED BLACK BEANS
- 4 slices Bacon, thick cut cut into 1/2 inch pieces
- ½ cup Sweet onion medium diced, chopped
- 2 cans (15.5 ounces each) Black beans
- 2 tablespoons Ketchup
- 1 Chipotle pepper, from the can with adobo sauce (Optional for added smokiness and heat)
- 1 tablespoon Worcestershire sauce
- 1 teaspoon Creole mustard, or any brown mustard
- 2 tablespoons Honey wildflower or alfalfa
- 1 12 ounce bottle Dark beer for added smoky flavor
Preheat grill to 350 ° to 400 ° F.
Directly on the grill, over direct heat, cook bacon in a cast iron skillet until crisp. Drain the excess fat, reserving 2 tablespoons of the drippings in a small bowl. Crumble bacon and place in a bowl. Reserve.Add the 2 tablespoons of bacon fat back into the pan and add the chopped onion. Cook until tender. Add the crumbled bacon, beans, ketchup, chipotle pepper (optional), Worcestershire sauce, prepared mustard and honey. Mix all ingredients evenly in the skillet. Cover with foil and place over indirect heat and close the lid on your grill to confine the heat for about 20 minutes.Remove foil and continue to cook over indirect heat uncovered with the lid grill closed for 1 hour, checking periodically. Add about 6 ounces of the dark beer (amount is dependent on taste preference) for added smoky flavor and to prevent the dish from becoming too dry.